Spanning three centuries we continue to offer quality legal services tailored to your needs.
We are steeped in history and our roots go back to 1893 when Mr Herbert Cullin Heppenstall came to Lymington from Newark, Notts to set up the practice.
In the year 1896 Mr. Heppenstall moved to 75 High Street, which the firm still occupy to this day having only ever once vacated it in 1999 for extensive restoration works to the Grade II Listed Building and its main roof structure returning eighteen months later in February 2001.
Also in 1896 Mr. Heppenstall entered into Partnership with Mr. CHARLES EDMONDS who was in practice at Yarmouth I.O.W. The firm then carried on business at Lymington and Yarmouth under the name of HEPPENSTALL & EDMONDS until the year 1900 when the partnership was dissolved by mutual consent. Mr. Heppenstall retained the Lymington business and Mr. Edmonds that on the Island. The name of the firm then became HEPPENSTALLS & CO.
In the year of 1901 Mr. HERBERT KELSEY CLARK of Botley entered into Partnership with Mr. Heppenstall and the name of the firm became HEPPENSTALL & CLARK.
On the death of the Registrar of the Lymington County Court in 1916 Mr. Clark was offered the appointment which he accepted.
It was considered that LYNDHURST and District would be a useful practice area and Mr. BASIL DONALD RUSTOM a Solicitor of Bristol, who joined the firm after the First World War, was invited to open an office there and to take sole charge of the interests of the firm. The New Milton office was opened on the 6 February 1923.
Mr. Heppenstall retired.
Mr. Clark retired. In 1946 Mr. JOHN CHEETHAM SELWYN ROWBOTHAM entered into partnership with Mr. Rustom and the style of firm then became Messrs. HEPPENSTALL RUSTOM & ROWBOTHAM with a staff at all offices of 20.
On the 5th April 1959 Mr. B. D. Rustom, who had been a partner in the firm for 36 years, became a Consultant.
Mr. PETER BASIL RUSTOM, the eldest son of Mr. B. D. Rustom, was articled to Mr. Heppenstall and on his father's retirement he took over the management of the Lyndhurst office. He retired as Senior Partner in 1992 after over 50 years with the firm.
On 1st November 1962 Mr. B. D. Rustom completed his jubilee as a practising Solicitor having been admitted on 1st November 1912. Mr. Rustom was the third partner of the firm to have practised for over 50 years.
On 5th April 1964 Mr. JAMES PERCIVAL BURGESS who had been with the firm since 1947 and later articled to Mr. Blinkthorn at New Milton transferred to take charge of Lymington office. He had become a partner in 1962. He went on to become a County Court Recorder (one of the first Solicitors to be elevated to the judiciary) and retired from the firm in 1989 having completed over 40 years with the firm.
Miss. SHEILA ELIZABETH TUFFIN joined the Lyndhurst staff as assistant Solicitor on 1st June 1971 and was admitted a Partner on 5th April 1974. She is the firm's senior partner at the Lyndhurst Office.
Mr. NICHOLAS JOHN FILBEE who had been articled from 1968 to Mr. J. P. Burgess at Lymington was admitted as a Solicitor in 1972 and became a Partner on 5th April 1975. He retired in 2007.
Miss. CATHERINE MARY O'DEA was admitted as a Solicitor in 1972. She joined the firm at Lymington in 1977 and became a Partner at the Lymington Office in 1982.
Sheila became the firm's senior partner, based at our Lyndhurst Office and retired in 2009.
Mrs Alexandra Jennings joined the firm as an articled clerk
Mrs. ALEXANDRA JENNINGS was admitted as a Solicitor in 1980.
Mrs. ALEXANDRA JENNINGS became a Partner at the New Milton office in 1986.
In 2000 the firm amalgamated with James Truman Moore of New Milton. IAN COOMBES who was a partner with Messrs James Truman Moore at that time joined Heppenstalls as a consultant at New Milton Office.
PHILIP SALT qualified as a solicitor in June 2002, having done his training with the firm. He became a partner on 5th November 2005.
Mrs. SHEILA PULLAN was admitted as a solicitor in 1985. She joined the firm at New Milton in 1990 and became a partner in 2002 and is a member of the Child Care panel and the Family Law Panel.
PHILIP SALT becomes a partner in November, having qualified as a solicitor in June 2002. Philip is a member of the Charity Law Association.
ADAM SCOTT qualified as a solicitor and joins the private client team at New Milton Office.
SHEILA TUFFIN retired, having been with the firm for 38 years.
LIA MARTIN joined the family team at New Milton.
CATHERINE O'DEA retired.
PHILIP SALT left and RICHARD BOYER took over his matters as a Commercial Conveyancer.
Due to receiving our Legal Aid franchise, KATHRYN WARREN joined the New Milton office.
LIA MARTIN became Practice Manager across the firm.
Lyndhurst office relocated to Lymington office.
BEN GURLUK has been re-recruited in London.
RICHARD BOYER changes to a Practicing Consultant.
SUZY GIBBS received Licencing Conveyancer in March.
Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority: No. 559304
"This firm maintains professional indemnity insurance in accordance with the rules of the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
Details of the insurers and the territorial coverage of the policy are available for inspection at our offices"
As from the 6th October 2010 the Solicitors' complaints handler has changed from the Legal Complaints Service to the Legal Ombudsman, at the Office of the Legal Services Ombudsman who can be contacted at http://www.olso.org/ Document Transfer